Our Story and More

Moving as a Qualifying Event

Individual coverage is state-based so your coverage must align with your state of residence. If you are moving out of state, that qualifies you for a special enrollment which means you can enroll in a new plan based in your new state outside of the annual open enrollment period. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as just submitting an application. In our experience there is quite a bit of documentation that needs to be provided to prove you have moved so please plan accordingly. You want to ensure you avoid a gap in coverage or at the very least, minimize it.

As I mentioned previously, individual health insurance coverage is state-based and your network of doctors and hospitals is at times tied to the geographic location where the plan is based. It is important to change your plan when you move to ensure you have access to in-network care in your new state. Also, once you move to a new state, you become ineligible for your former plan.

If you have moved out of state or to a part of the same state that does not offer your current plan, you have 60 days to enroll in a new health plan after your move.

Many plans will require you to prove you lived at your prior residence and then at your new residence within 60 days. They may request bank or mortgage statements, utility bills, a deed to a house, a photo ID or vehicle registrations. They will also require proof that you were covered by a previous plan within the past 60 days.

Plans may require a termination notice from your prior plan as well. Terminating a current plan before you are enrolled in a new plan can make people understandably nervous. Although as mentioned previously, once you move you become ineligible for your former plan, which is why we recommend you plan ahead and become familiar with all of the required documentation necessary to enroll in a new plan.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Please watch the video and spread the word about learning about healthcare coverage!